The New York Giants are Super Bowl Champions! It was a long season and as a team, the Giants went through a lot to get to their ultimate goal. In looking back at what they have accomplished, it made me realize that some great lessons can be learned and applied to the pursuit of your own fitness goals.
- Don't Give Up. When the Giants were 7-7 the Super Bowl seemed a million miles away, but they never gave up. If you are struggling with your weight or trying your best to stick with your exercise program, never give up as you really can do it and you will get to your goals with hard work and persistence.
- Play as a TEAM. To win the Super Bowl everyone has to do their job, help each other and stand by each other. Your fitness support team (spouse, friends, family, doctors, trainers, etc.) all need to work with you, encourage you and truly be team members and be there for you as your pursue your goals. Get a workout partner and form your own TEAM, you will be glad that you did!
- Great Coaching. The Giants had great coaching and a great game plan to accomplish their goals each week and ultimately win the big game. Find a qualified and caring trainer to help you with advice, encouragement and most importantly a game plan that will help direct you to your goal. No team goes into a game without a plan and neither should you. The best plans need to be flexible so you can adapt them to your changing needs.
- Confidence. When they asked Eli Manning if he was "elite" he had the confidence to say that he felt he was. It wasn't arrogance, just confidence that he could get the job done. Don't second guess or doubt yourself when exercising, have the confidence to follow and stick to your plan and you will get the job done too!
- Have Fun. There was probably no better story this year than that of New Jersey's own Victor Cruz, whose Silk City Salsa touchdown celebration dance is now the most famous dance in New Jersey. Victor overcame the odds, had fun while doing it and reached his ultimate goal. You can do the same!
I hope you are able to put some of these lessons from The New York Giants to work for you and that they help you win your own personal Fitness Super Bowl!