Just ten days after a Bergenfield girl riding an escalator in
Macy’s at the Garden State Plaza with her family was seriously injured after
the escalator “swallowed her foot,” Macy’s settled with the victim of a similar
incident in 2009.
An unidentified female youth lost a toe, when her foot was trapped at the bottom of an escalator at the Macy’s in Paramus Park.
According to nj.com, Andrew Laskin, the attorney who represents the girl’s mother in a lawsuit against the company, confirmed that a judge at U.S. District Court in Newark finalized the agreement on Monday.
No specifics of the agreement have been made public. The two Macy’s retail stores are only 3.3 miles apart and just as one case of a young girl being injured is closed, another is opened.
The Elevator Escalator Safety Foundation (EESF) offers these tips as “Safety Rules for Kids”
- 1) Watch your step
- 2) Leave closing doors alone
- 3) If doors don't open ring alarm button and wait
- 4) If there is a fire in the building use stairs
Escalators & Moving Walks
- 1) Step on and off carefully
- 2) People only - no strollers
- 3) Hold the handrail
- 4) Take care of younger children
- 5) Do not touch the sides below the handrail
- 6) Stand facing forward
Check out the EESF website for more information on elevator and escalator safety.