Paramus Police Officer Elliot Colon had to force his way into an apartment after he saw and smelled smoke inside while hearing a pair of small children crying.
According to Chief Kenneth Ehrenberg, after entering the Sorbello Road apartment, Colon helped two 3-year old boys outside then reentered the apartment and found their mother asleep on a bed in the back of the apartment.
The Paramus Fire Department determined that the fire was isolated to food burning on the stove that had been left unattended. The mother told police that she had recently been ill, which was then determined to be a factor in the incident.
The mother and two children were taken to Valley Hospital where they were treated for smoking inhalation and carbon monoxide exposer while Colon was treated for smoke inhalation and a laceration.